Friday, September 24, 2010

Building the fireplace Mk2

The fireplace insert arrived on Wednesday. It had to be unpacked to move it off the truck and so sat on the footpath for most of the day.



 Buster placed the packing box over it as he was nervous about rain. 



Here are the chimney plates and flue in their packaging.


I appointed myself Charlie's labourer and was no doubt the slowest worker he's ever had. Buster managed to carry more bricks by hand than I could manage with the wagon. Must get fit soon.


Charlie is very precise with his work and has an eye for detail that I picked up on when I visited his house that he's been renovating around the corner. It just happens to be amongst one of the better looking houses in town and is a gorgeous weatherboard with wrap around verandah.


I didn't realise we'd need a new lintel. This is the second angled lintel I've picked up in as many days and it's a 25km trip to the hardware store, so for us it pays to be more organised. I had thought that the lintel that came from the old fireplace was enough but it was far too small.


Charlie keeps mentioning tips and tricks to assist what we're planning and we've quickly realised that he's worth having around. So I've asked him to help me project manage the build. He's come up with a much better suggestion for the roof line, so I hope he sticks around long enough to see it finished.


I can't believe how excited I am about this unfinished fireplace. It's a work of art.

From every angle....

I really love it, despite it being so bland and unfinished. Oh and I just found a before pic of the fireplace.


It doesn't look so bad here, but it really was awful in the 40s style of the reno. And besides the hearth needed repairing and I really need to justify all the work involved.

So next up we have to install the firebox. Here are the details....


HEAT CHARM I600 INBUILT







CAPACITY (squares)........ 30 
FIREBOX HEIGHT mm......... 600 
FIREBOX WIDTH mm ........730 
FIREBOX DEPTH mm ........470 
FASCIA HEIGHT mm........ 730 
FASCIA WIDTH mm........ 1110 
FASCIA DEPTH mm......... 60 
WEIGHT kg - 180kg
FAN SPEED........ 3 speed 
EMISSION RATING g/k .......2.0 
FASCIA REAR TO SPIGOT CENTRE mm........285
MINIMUM CLEARANCES TO MANTLE mm - 
MINIMUM CLEARANCES TO UPRIGHTS mm - 
FIREBOX THICKNESS mm........ 5 
FIREBOX TYPE....... Steel 
BAFFLE TYPE .........Cast 
BAFFLE THICKNESS mm ........10 
LINERS TYPE........ Cast Opt. 
FIREBOX WARRANTY ..........10 Years

No comments:

Post a Comment