Saturday, October 9, 2010

Success from seeds

 Some seedlings have just this week started to pop up.


Rocket apparently requires a heavy feeding in the early stages to get a strong crop, so I've been loading it up with all the worm juice available. These will likely need to be thinned out, but for now I'm watching and waiting.


Our lettuce survived through the winter and since I've taken to watering the garden again (slack I know) it's thriving. Once we start eating this it will really come along. I think there are three varieties in there but they were purchased as a single mixed punnet from Bunnings. The seedlings were planted just before the frosts set in and thanks to the sheltering plum, they've survived.


Silverbeet is always a winner but I didn't have much luck with it. After the planting those pesky chooks got into the patch and ripped almost everything up. There are some tiny seedlings adjacent which are just starting to come on though so hopefully with some heavy watering, we'll have a decent crop shortly.


Beetroot up the back. I think these are baby beets. I'm so impressed they actually worked. Wasn't expecting too much from the seeds but so far so good.


Our blueberry bush is heaving with flowers. Buster transplanted this a couple of weeks ago and it's getting ready for fruiting. We're hoping this will succeed in the pot as I think it will work well on our yet to be built deck. Love fresh blueberries! These are the Nelly Kelly variety and our climate is perfect for them apparently.


I've not seen an olive tree in bloom before and it's quite a pretty flower. We're still undecided about the olive trees final home so for now it's staying in the nursery pot. I'm fairly certain we purchased this olive tree when we went to Cowra for Buster's birthday. If we get fruit from this very small tree I'll be so impressed.




No comments:

Post a Comment