Monday, September 6, 2010

Memories of Summer

Well one of our plums has been in blossom for about a week and it's reminding me that it's almost time to head outdoors again to prepare for Summer. We're almost coming into warmer weather again but due to our cold climate, it's a slow start.

Three days ago, Buster and I went out for a walk after dinner and we didn't have to wear coats, or gloves or hats. It was like a pleasant Summer evening after our most bitter winter yet. Not having decent heating didn't help us so we've spent a large portion of the Winter at our friends farm building enormous fires and having adventures. We're back into a cold snap this weekend and rain, rain, rain. I thought I'd post some pics of last summer as I've been a bit slack on the blogging front...

I didn't realise it was such a wonderful little garden until I saw these pictures. Throughout the winter, we've had little more than onions and lettuce. I've joked about surviving as French peasants but we really didn't plant anything after the chooks got into my parsnip and destroyed most of my late autumn plantings. For their disobedience, the girls were rehomed and started laying immediately.


Look at the size of those tomatoes! They were grosse lizzies, but planted too late in the season and didn't make it to the table. I think we managed three before the frosts set in and the rest were ruined. Such a shame as the tree was heaving with them prior to becoming frozen. A good reminder for me to get in early this year.

A local mentioned our garden to me the other day and she wasn't the first to talk about it with me. I think it's the only thing people might have noticed about our house since we've moved in. Many people use the back lane to walk to the main street which is about 20m from our back gate.

No comments:

Post a Comment